after having the priveledge of working with many amazing and talented people at Theo Chocolate Factory, in Seattle, i naturally think everything should be coated in dark chocolate. the Theo masterminds try chocolate with everything: bacon, jalepeno, saffron, curry, you name it. im not sure if i got the idea from working at theo, but i'm certain the earthy flavour of beetroot with bitter chocolate will be divine. there's a few ideas out there already with chocolate and beetroot like: beetroot brownies, chocolate beetroot cake, beetroot ice cream!, beetroot chips and after googling: 'beetroot chocolate truffles,' i am now (3 seconds ago) aware that im not the first to make a truffle with beetroot. but who cares? this recipe only has four main ingredients, it also takes minimal active time to make and looks like you spent days and days making the little confections. have fun impressing your friends!
Candied Beetroot Chocolate Truffles
makes 2 dozen truffles
i used a flower shaped cutter for the cnadied beetroot disks, feel free to use your creative juices to make whatever shape you like.
Candied Beetroot Disks:
3 small beetroots, topped, tailed, peeled and sliced 3mm thick
1 cup/ 250g sugar
1 cup/250ml water
- bring all ingredients to a boil and cover then simmer gently, for 1.5 hours. till beetroot become translucent.
- carefully pour all ingredients into a container and let cool to room temp.
fill a small bowl with caster sugar
- when ready to use, strain liquid off candied beetroot, pat beetroot slices dry with kitchen paper.
- using a small 2cm cutter cut disks out of beetroot slices (excess beetroot can be chopped and coated in sugar for use in other desserts)
- coat slices in caster sugar and set aside.
175 ml heavy cream
175g 70% dark chocolate drops, or chopped chocolate
- pour cream into saucepan, on medium heat bring cream to just about boiling.
- take off heat and stir in chocolate drops
- let cool to piping consistency
- fill piping bag (or ziplock bag) fitted with a 1 cm plain tip and pipe tear drops onto candied beetroot disks
- let truffles set at room temp for one hour.