I was so delighted to find golden beetroot in the market this summer. I've harped on and on about golden beetroot in past posts, (see part 1, 2 and 3 of my beetroot bonanza posts) and to finally find some growing here in Ireland was such a novelty to me. they are all over the place in farmers markets and greengrocers back home in the states.
I thought of this recipe as a good way to use the traditional red beetroot and striped 'chioggia' I have growing in the garden. I was inspired by a dish in the Lark: Cooking Against the Grain cookbook which uses beetroot in three preparations (raw, pickled and roasted) here I used boiled, roasted, and raw. its really an outline rather than a steadfast recipe. the flavours are ones you would find in other beetroot salads possibly with a honey mustard vinaigrette. the twist is caramelizing the almonds with honey from our beehive at home (we have bees now, how exciting!) and pairing the salad with red mustard leaves (my second sowing this year) which add great colour to the garden, and a spicy kick to salads. you'll definately impress you friends with this dish, for sure!
Trio of Beetroot with Honey Caramelized Almonds and Mustard Leaf
enough for 3 as a starter salad
1 medium sized red beetroot, washed
1 medium sized golden beetroot, washed
1 medium sized Chioggia, washed and peeled
handful of almonds
4-5 tablespoons honey, local if possible
handful red mustard leaves, if availiable or try mizuna
chopped chives and their blossoms
flaky sea salt
- roast the red beetroot with skin on in an oven at 350 F or 180C until soft, 40 min - 1 hour, cool
- meanwhile, boil the golden beetroot until soft, 40 min - 1 hour, cool
- once cooled, peel of the skin of both beetroots, keeping the red one separate so it doesn't stain the others
- cut beetroot into small dices, set aside
- in a small saucepan heat the honey on medium heat until it starts to darken in colour
- throw in the almonds and coat evenly stir until the almonds seem well caramelized and toasted, cool on a tray lined with parchment paper
- thinly slice the Chioggia beetroot crosswise into thin 'coins'
- toss the beetroot dices in separate bowls with olive oil and sea salt
- place mustard leaves on plate add the beetroot dices and Chioggia 'coins'
- scatter the plate with the almonds and chives with their blossoms
- drizzle the plate with olive oil and balsamic vinegar